Professional Life and Accomplishments
Strategic Planning / Investment Analysis
Strategic Planning and Development
- Developed extensive business plans, financial models, analyses, and presentations for new business opportunities: including complex (technical and capital) projects like satellite constellation investments, new distribution models, new technical design, partnership and acquisition evaluation, and new market entry.
- Participated and led teams in negotiating, contracting, and finalizing deals internally and externally.
- Participated in all levels of the company’s capital budgeting, planning, and forecasting process; including scenario analyses, risk evaluation, and presentation to executive team and board.
Acquisition / Business Valuation
- Created, planned, and led acquisition selection, due diligence, transaction process, deal valuation, and deal closure.
- Researched, presented, and closed dozens of high-value acquisition targets – including the close of key acquisitions: Wildblue, Stonewood, ARINC, NetNearU, Lonocloud, Engreen, Arconics. See Projects below.
Proposal / Market Analysis
- Developed pricing strategy, using market research, competitive analysis (including the creation of competitor’s, channel’s, and partner’s financial model), and analyzed strategic and financial tradeoffs.
- Led and managed the initial business plan for ViaSat’s key go-to-market in commercial air, developed business plans for products, markets, distribution in broadband segment, aided special government segment initiatives, and evaluated/panned future markets.
- Led team researching players, channels, and value in new markets.
- Developed go-to-market plans evaluating core strategy with risk tradeoff throughout markets and channels.
- Developed initial analyses for new markets: US Broadband, worldwide sales (EU, AU, MX, SA), commercial air, business aviation, government markets, and future global initiatives. (See Projects)
Corporate Financial Analysis
- Develop strategic frameworks to identify value-creating growth, and established key dashboards, drivers, metrics to capture this value.
- Led and participated in developing the quarterly/annual forecast plan.
- Responsible for all major investment forecasting (such as multi-billion dollar future strategic investments and go-to-market plans).
- Led analysis and presentation of key decisions for executives on capital allocation, risk analyses, and key assumptions making across all business segments.
- Analyzed key metrics, optimal capital structure, risk analysis for strategic planning and forecasting.
- Participated in several planned and executed capital raises, included equity financing, ex-im financing, and term-loan debt financing.
- Analyzed strategic options to capital, including partnerships, spin-off, technical trades, and other business strategy.
- Analyze and make key decisions for executive management on capital allocation, scenario analyses, and key decision making across all business segments.
Global Business Solutions - Finance Director
Operational Finance Management for Business
- Part of the executive team and led all major financial decisions for the $50M+ business division for our global enterprise initiative .
- Managed team of analysts, accountants, and staff to meet major management reporting deadlines.
- Responsible for the financial statement reporting, all profit and loss analysis, cost management, new revenue, and bid and proposal.
- Successfully met all key targets on EBITDA, cost management, and revenue management.
- Not only managed, but dramatically improved planning process, forecasting in the business and drove improvement across all adjacent business lines; creating key templates for: Planning, Proposal, Analysis.
- Created processes for independent and decentralized management of decision making for finance, sales, and operations.
- Worked with corporate executive management, general management in the business to make key decisions, set key targets, and report key results.
Commercial Air - Controller
Operational Finance, Planning, and Analysis
- Managed the start of our daily financial operations in our commercial air segment–ViaSat’s most successful new business.
- Created short-term and long-term budgets and forecasts.
- Managed a team of analysts thoughtfully creating variance/flux reports, KPI and benchmark analysis, competitive reports.
- Developed methodologies and templates for proposal process.
- Analyzed and approved all financial investments and transitions within the business.
- Presented to executive management team at business area reviews and quarterly and annual financial and strategy updates.
- Managed all financial proposals to new airlines and key new business initiatives.
- Created financial models for revenue funnel, capacity planning, and executive reporting.
- Coordinated with general management and team to create standard processes for future $1B+ business.
Audit - General and Valuation Analysis
- One of the youngest employees to directly manage several clients
- Participated in all levels of audit procedures, auditing all income and balance sheet accounts
- Moreover, participated in engagement with clients. Specialized in financial valuation analysis, was the only financial specialist in the San Diego region.
- Managed Deloitte’s San Diego venture capital clients and specialized valuation of mortgage companies, derivatives, stock options, and retirement plans.
- ViaSat-1/2/3 Constellation: Developed and maintained the main business plans and financial models for ViaSat’s billion-dollar bet on a breakthrough broadband technology in global markets and dozens of new verticals.
- Bid and Proposals: Managed financial model and pricing strategy for ViaSat’s largest contract win ever over $300M, NBN Australia. Further, aided the early competitive hardware business dominate the market with sales over $100M.
- Commercial Air Management: Created ViaSat’s initial financial model (based on a new free-to-pax business model) for its investment into the highly-visible, highly-successful, growth business of Commercial Air. Responsible for early-stage finance and reporting for new business which is now the most successful part of the company.
- Global Business Solutions: Planned and acquired leadership into wireless distribution and enterprise broadband.After acquisition, finance executive in charge of growing complex business with revenues over $50M.
- Partnerships / Joint Ventures: Developed business model and proposal for ViaSat’s sale of broadband capacity to its Canadian partner for over $250M. Other partnership models in South America and Europe valued over several hundred million.
- Loral Legal Settlement / Other: Developed key business analysis for legal IP settlements and negotiations,; some publicly valued at hundreds of millions of dollars.
University of California, Berkeley
- Haas School of Business (3.9GPA)
- Magna Cum Laude – Haas School of Business
- President/Officer of 3 Collegiate Organizations
- Taught 4 semesters of class on Equities and the Stock Market
Stanford Graduate School of Business
- Stanford Executive Leadership Program
- Valedictorian - High School Class
- Corporate Leadership Programs (ViaSat Leadership Institute I and II), Multiple presentations to ViaSat Board of Directors, attended multiple Strategy and Leadership seminars/courses, Lead/Taught several internal Strategic Finance and Satellite Finance Courses, managed multiple winning intern project teams.
Hobbies / Other Skills
- Avid coder: Python, Java, CSS C, Objective C, Visual Basic, VBA.
- Worked with databases including: SQL, SQLite, Postgres, BerkeleyDB.
- Tools including Tableau, R Studio, Jupyter, QGIS, Plotly, Oracle EBS, Discoverer.
- Robust understanding of Finance, Math, and Statistics.
- Unique understanding of telecommunication science, electrical engineering, wireless standards/spectrum, and network architectures.
- Extremely well-read in strategy, leadership, and economic theory.
- Avid hobbyist of the microcontrollers (RPI, Arduino), designing and building circuits and electrical engineering, and all- around “maker” communication.
- Deeply involved in crypto-currencies since 2012 – including Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Monero – investor in multiple crypto-currencies and multiple startups.
- Accredited Investor participating in early-stage angel funding, fundamental stock analysis and trading, group investment analysis and valuation.
- Voracious interest in all new technologies, including AR/VR, autonomous cars/drones, crypto-currency & blockchain networks and economics, and other cutting-edge technology.
- Extremely well-read in strategy, leadership, and economic theory.
References and Links
- Professional Links:
- Outside Technical Skills:
- Accredited Investments: By Request
- Personnel References: By Request
- Example Business Plans and Financial Modeling: